A covalent compound involves the sharing of electrons between two non-metals.
What are the rules for covalent compounds?
- Covalent compounds use prefixes – to indicate the number of atoms of each element in the compound
- The element that is on the left of the periodic table comes first
- The element that is lower on the periodic table comes first
- If halogen is present, halogen is named first
- If hydrogen is present, hydrogen is named first
- mono –
- di –
- tri –
- tetra –
- penta –
- hexa –
- hepta –
- octa –
After this, you are ready to go to (3. ionic compounds)
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?