What's the difference between mass and weight?
There's a big difference between mass and weight.
Mass refers to the amount of matter in a substance,
Weight is a measure of how the force of gravity acts on the mass.
- An object weighs less on the moon than on earth because the gravity pull on an object is less on the moon.
- However, the mass of an object is the same on the moon or on earth. The weight varies depending on how far away the object is away from the earth because of gravity,
- Mass can have a value of zero. The weight can only be zero if no effect of gravity acts on it.
- The mass of an object is measured by using an ordinary balance. The weight is measured by using a spring balance.
- The unit of mass is grams or kilograms. The unit of weight is newtons.